Laurier Trauma Certificate
June 5 - June 6
The Trauma Certificate will provide you with a comprehensive understanding of what trauma is, how it affects the body, the brain and the memory and how trauma differs from crisis and other distress. The program will also explore various types of trauma, such as interpersonal violence and refugee/war experiences, and how other issues, such as addictions, can interact with trauma.
Instructor: Sarah Schlote, MA, RP, CCC, SEP
Some of the topics covered in this program include:
- The neurobiology of trauma.
- Assessment of trauma.
- Current, evidence-based treatment models for trauma.
- The effects of torture, violence or risk of violence.
- How to effectively manage issues of religion and spirituality while working with triggered refugees or survivors of war.
- The connection between trauma and addiction.
- Flashback management.
- Building resilience in children who have experienced trauma.
- Strategies for managing the effects of secondary traumatic stress.
- The basic steps to implementing trauma-informed care in organizations.
Pre-approved for 12 CECs with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association
To register coursestore.wlu.ca